From the book:
Fifteen Key Steps
1. Arrange a couple of interview times.
2. Do your research.
3. Organize your question/keywords.
4. Organize your notepad and equipment.
5. Arrive at the interview early.
6. Get set up and check your equipment again.
7. Ask your icebreaker question.
8. Observe your interviewee and their surroundings.
9. Ask your first question.
10. Don’t forget to listen.
11. Ask the “easy” questions first.
12. Look for off-beat questions.
13. Make time to get anecdotes.
14. Gather essential background.
15. Check your notes.